Friday, May 13, 2016

An invitation to be part of my community

One thing I really loved about editing the McKnight Journal and the North Journal was the opportunity to be involved in community building.

My favorite compliments about the North Hills weeklies always were something along the line of “Every week, I see the name of someone I know in a story, or I see someone I know in a photo.” Hearing that made me feel great because it summed up what I really wanted to those papers to accomplish. I loved the fact that these papers were community papers and made people feel that they were part of the Ross/West View or McCandless/Marshall/Franklin Park/Bradford Woods community.

Even though I’ve left the papers, I’ve found that in one way or another I want to be involved in building communities.

For a long time, I’ve realized that I stay active in juggling because of the people, not just because I enjoy juggling. After all, I’m a social juggler. I rarely juggle when I’m on my own. Being part of the community of jugglers is really important to me. When I’m with jugglers, that’s when I most feel as if I’m with “my people.”

As I am transitioning out of the newspaper industry and into a new type of communications career, I’ve found that many of the jobs that attract me are those where I see the opportunity to help build a community of some sort. Good internal communications, for example, will help turn a company’s employees into a community. Good external communications will involve community building, too. Good communication is needed for a good community. I’m sure it’s no coincidence that the words “communication” and “community” have so much in common.

Becoming involved in the Twitter campaign to save the TV show “Galavant” has introduced me to a new type of community. “Galavant” fandom is a community. Community members realized that someone was trying to profit off another person’s fan T-shirt design, and it was heartening to see all the tweeting to let potential buyers know who the real designer was and how to buy the shirt in a way that supports that person.

Whatever I do in the next stage of my career and life, I want to help build some type of community. It is so important to build bridges, not walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment